Skip to main content

Snow Day

So it snowed last night. Ha! That even makes me laugh. Why? Well, because it finally snowed the kind of snow that is going to stick around for awhile. Like, until May. (Not really, well, maybe) I'm trying to hunker down and get used to the idea that it's going to be freezing cold for the next three to four months.

Yay!
In order to really be able to enjoy this stuff I decided to make a list of all the things that are GOOD about snow, cold and most important of all...the Snow Day. This list will become even more important in February when all I can think about is sipping a cocktail with a little umbrella while sitting under an umbrella on the beach. These winters man, they are rough! So although complaining about the cold and the snow is what binds us crazy Mid-Westeners together, here is my list of why I think Snow Days are nice.
  • Shoveling: Is she crazy you ask? No, I just see shoveling as an hour of peace and quiet. I can even turn on the iPod and make things go even faster. Shoveling also makes me sitting on my a*s and not going to the gym just a little bit less guilt inducing.
  • Carb Loading: After all of that slipping, sliding and shoveling that I'm going to be doing I will need to be eating those extra Christmas Cookies and Egg Nog. It also means I can bake to my heart's content and 'not' feel guilty about eating it all up! Plus, a little extra padding is necessary for warmth and protection from falling on your butt.
  • Easy Excuses: Don't feel like going to your in-laws for dinner, it's too cold to take the kids out! Meeting friends for a drink, but all you want to do is stay in your PJ's, drink a glass of wine and watch Buffy? Your car won't start! Late for work/date/dinner? You just had to shovel your car out. The excuses abound this time of year!
  • Using the oven: I try to remember this one when it's four PM and dark outside. Come July/August the last thing I'll want to do is turn the oven on. So all of those breads/cakes/cookies/casseroles/baked goodies that I want to make all summer? Bust them out now because not only do you have the time (who wants to go outside after dark in winter?) but it will also warm up the house and make it smell pretty tasty too.

How do you get through the winter?
Any things that you look forward to this time of year?

Comments

  1. White Russians and Colorado Bull dogs are perfect post winter activity beverages.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Home for Sale, Cheap

Nap time is usually reserved for a mash up of cleaning, organizing, eating, blogging, surfing the web and trying to relax as much as possible before the Little Lady wakes up.  With our house going on the market tomorrow my house is the cleanest it has ever been.  Literally.  I feel like we're living in a model home.  Kind of like Michael and George Michael Bluth from Arrested Development .  It's equal parts nice and annoying.  Nice having a super clean home and annoying that I have to keep it show ready all.the.time. The best part of having a show ready house?  I have nothing more to do during nap time than blog, eat and watch Angel .  Because bad TV at nap time is the best way to relax.  Well, maybe just if you're living in a model home.

Lady in the Sky, With Broccoli

We've had a whirlwind, chaotic, hectic, exciting week.  It was a week of fixes, car naps, quick meals and heat.  Oh, the heat!  I finally feel like today we had the chance to tone things down and take a breath.  The Little Lady and I were left to our devices for the evening while the Mr. took a much deserved night off.  We had a light dinner and then went outside for our favorite pre-bed activity, Bubble Chasing.  (Well, she chases, I blow).  The following conversation ensued. Laying in the grass: MP: Hey LL, look at all those clouds! LL:  Yeah mom, clouds. MP:  What do you see up there?  I see bunny ears! LL:  They just puffy mama. MP: (Humph, this might not work...) LL:  Mama, I see Lady! MP: (Getting excited)  That's great, what's she doing? LL:  Lady in Sky, with Broccoli.  I like Broccoli! MP: Well, yes, it does look like broccoli.  What else do you see? LL:  Poop in a glass.  Hahaha, mama, poop in a glass! And here ends what could have been a touching,

Five Things Friday- Summer Drinks

Hello good peeps!  It's currently 79 degrees in sunny Minneapolis and I think it's high time I shared my favorite summer drinks with you.  Whether you are chilling on a patio, sipping around a campfire or simply sitting in front of your A/C, here are five tasty, cool, refreshing drinks for your  pleasure.  What about you?  What do you imbibe in the summer? Moscow Mule :  I had this for the first time at the beginning of summer and it is just about perfect.  Ginger beer (not ginger ale), vodka and lime come together to form the most refreshing drink you can have on a patio.  Sweet, spicy, with a nice little kick. Surly's Cynic Ale :  A light colored ale with a nice kick at the end.  I could drink pints and pints of this brew.  It's the ideal beer for a back yard BBQ. Arnold Palmer :  Part tart lemonade, part sweet iced tea.  Love this combination in the summer time, especially in the afternoons!  Nothing like a little caffeine kick to get you through the rest of a