Skip to main content

Family


So this weekend the Mr's identical twin, The Clone, is coming into town. He is currently pursuing his PhD in Mathematics at the University of California, Irvine. He and his lovely wife, Mrs. Clone, have lived in CA for longer than the Mr. and I have been married. Before that the four of us were all living in our small college town in Central Minnesota. When The Clone comes to town things get a little crazy. The Mr. becomes like a boy again and there's much yelling, jumping, geeking and crazy scheming that go on. One has to mentally prepare for it. Not to mention the extra familial responsibilities that come with having out-of-town family in town. I'm started to get exhausted just thinking about it.

In honor of The Clone coming to town I thought that I would tell a little story from the past. A story of love, intrigue, humor and ... Well, not really, but it's a good story nonetheless. Enjoy.

Back in the day MP used to work at a sweet, little coffee shop that was near campus. The Mr. and his Clone would come in to study, for seriously, twelve hours a day. They were nothing if not dedicated. The Clone would come in the mornings, and the Mr. would come in the evenings, since I only worked the opening shifts The Clone and I became fast friend first. We'd often chat as I cleaned tables or took my break. He'd always drop these hints like, "I have a twin brother who looks exactly like me, and he's single!" (Even though he wasn't, but that's another story for another time). The boys would come in and basically scam their way into free cups of coffee. I never really minded, they were nice, funny, quiet and came in Ev.ery.day. Plus, they promised that they'd pay me back tips someday (don't think I'd forget that now that I'm family boys!) They'd skateboard in the street when they needed a break and I'd always be afraid that I'd end up having to call their mother to let her know that her son was now a smear in the middle of the street. The coffee shop was a happy little community and they were major players in it.

This went on and on for over a year. Then one night The Clone invited me out to dinner with Mrs. Clone (then Girlfriend Clone). Little did I know that the Mr. and I were being set up during a mass couple date. Everyone was coupled off except us. We didn't like this one bit, no.sir.ee, we did not. And to show just how much we didn't like it we sat outside of the restaurant, chain smoking cigarettes and b*tching about how we didn't like it.

The thing was, that night we started to kinda like each other. The Mr. was still seeing that girl, but really? When we look back at the origins of our relationship we both go back to that night. As much as it pains me to admit it, The Clone and Mrs. Clone did really have a large part in getting us together, even if we didn't like it at the time. It took us another year to get together and then just a short eighteen months to get married. Hopefully someday the ending of this story will be our kids and the Clone's kids playing together because they live just down the street. Because as crazy as it would be, it would be wonderful to have them near by again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #1

I don't fold and put away my clothes. Really, you'd think by the time I graduated from college, got married, bought a house and had a kid that I would be able to take care of myself. But no, there are still a number of things that I can't seem to get the hang of. Like laundry. Well, that's not true. I actually don't mind doing laundry. Washing and drying clothes is no big deal. (Let's not point out that a machine takes care all of it...shall we?) Even un-organized me has a day that I do laundry. Monday. Now granted, it is Tuesday and the first load went in about twenty minutes ago, but hey, I did bring it downstairs yesterday! The washing machine does it's job, the dryer theirs. So the laundry is done, it's been brought upstairs and I pile it on the bed in a overly idealistic display of domesticity; where it sits all day until the guy goes to bed and pushes it onto the floor. Now, if it's started out to be a good day, the pile will end up o

Five Things Friday- Summer Drinks

Hello good peeps!  It's currently 79 degrees in sunny Minneapolis and I think it's high time I shared my favorite summer drinks with you.  Whether you are chilling on a patio, sipping around a campfire or simply sitting in front of your A/C, here are five tasty, cool, refreshing drinks for your  pleasure.  What about you?  What do you imbibe in the summer? Moscow Mule :  I had this for the first time at the beginning of summer and it is just about perfect.  Ginger beer (not ginger ale), vodka and lime come together to form the most refreshing drink you can have on a patio.  Sweet, spicy, with a nice little kick. Surly's Cynic Ale :  A light colored ale with a nice kick at the end.  I could drink pints and pints of this brew.  It's the ideal beer for a back yard BBQ. Arnold Palmer :  Part tart lemonade, part sweet iced tea.  Love this combination in the summer time, especially in the afternoons!  Nothing like a little caffeine kick to get you through the rest of a

Home for Sale, Cheap

Nap time is usually reserved for a mash up of cleaning, organizing, eating, blogging, surfing the web and trying to relax as much as possible before the Little Lady wakes up.  With our house going on the market tomorrow my house is the cleanest it has ever been.  Literally.  I feel like we're living in a model home.  Kind of like Michael and George Michael Bluth from Arrested Development .  It's equal parts nice and annoying.  Nice having a super clean home and annoying that I have to keep it show ready all.the.time. The best part of having a show ready house?  I have nothing more to do during nap time than blog, eat and watch Angel .  Because bad TV at nap time is the best way to relax.  Well, maybe just if you're living in a model home.