Skip to main content

Water


I used to drink a lot of water everyday. When I was still nursing LN I was making liquid, so I had a water bottle with me at all times. I would try and drink eight to ten ounces every time I nursed. Surprisingly, I didn't have to pee all that often. Now I frequently go to the gym, only to forget my water bottle at home. I make do with quick trips to the fountain between sets and before and after my run. By the time I get home I'm so thirsty that I drown about twelve ounces in one gulp. I pour another glass and it sits there on the counter until dinner time.

I've been getting headaches the past week or so. Fairly painful, I tried giving up coffee, but they only got worse. So I've cut back to one cup in the morning; two if I can feel it being 'one of those days'. It seems to have worked, for the time being. Instead of the coffee I'm trying to drink more tea and definitely more water. I was under the impression that an average adult needed to drink at least eight glasses of water a day to maintain a healthy, functioning system. That always seemed like a lot to me...so I Googled it to see if my memory was correct.

It was and it wasn't.

It's true that for years people have been told to drink eight, eight ounce glasses of water per day. However, I found many articles stating that the eight ounces a day factoid was a myth. Researchers have found no medical reason for an intake of water that high everyday. The kidneys have no problem flushing out our systems and we can stay well hydrated if we drink less or even no water throughout the day. So where did this myth come from?

"...the notion may have started when the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council recommended approximately "1 milliliter of water for each calorie of food," which would amount to roughly two to two-and-a-half quarts per day (64 to 80 ounces). Although in its next sentence, the Board stated "most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods," that last sentence may have been missed, so that the recommendation was erroneously interpreted as how much water one should drink each day."

Hm. Makes sense to me. Especially if you eat fresh fruits and vegetables, many of which are mainly made up of water. Or do you eat a lot of soup? Surprise, that's a lot of liquid too! So what does this have to do with my headaches? Well, to be honest, I am not sure. It makes sense to me that if I drink coffee, which makes me use the bathroom, I should probably replace my body's fluids. Same goes with exercising. If I sweat, I should probably drink more water. Especially in the winter when the air around here could dry you out like a mummy. Duh. (I'm sure you're all rolling your eyes at my brilliance.)

So here I sit typing, thinking about water, with a glass half full (yep, I'm that type of gal) sitting next to me. No headache today, although I forgot my water bottle at home when I was at the gym today. I forgot my towel too, which makes for an interesting story too; especially if you realize it after you've come out of the shower.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confession #1

I don't fold and put away my clothes. Really, you'd think by the time I graduated from college, got married, bought a house and had a kid that I would be able to take care of myself. But no, there are still a number of things that I can't seem to get the hang of. Like laundry. Well, that's not true. I actually don't mind doing laundry. Washing and drying clothes is no big deal. (Let's not point out that a machine takes care all of it...shall we?) Even un-organized me has a day that I do laundry. Monday. Now granted, it is Tuesday and the first load went in about twenty minutes ago, but hey, I did bring it downstairs yesterday! The washing machine does it's job, the dryer theirs. So the laundry is done, it's been brought upstairs and I pile it on the bed in a overly idealistic display of domesticity; where it sits all day until the guy goes to bed and pushes it onto the floor. Now, if it's started out to be a good day, the pile will end up o

Five Things Friday- Summer Drinks

Hello good peeps!  It's currently 79 degrees in sunny Minneapolis and I think it's high time I shared my favorite summer drinks with you.  Whether you are chilling on a patio, sipping around a campfire or simply sitting in front of your A/C, here are five tasty, cool, refreshing drinks for your  pleasure.  What about you?  What do you imbibe in the summer? Moscow Mule :  I had this for the first time at the beginning of summer and it is just about perfect.  Ginger beer (not ginger ale), vodka and lime come together to form the most refreshing drink you can have on a patio.  Sweet, spicy, with a nice little kick. Surly's Cynic Ale :  A light colored ale with a nice kick at the end.  I could drink pints and pints of this brew.  It's the ideal beer for a back yard BBQ. Arnold Palmer :  Part tart lemonade, part sweet iced tea.  Love this combination in the summer time, especially in the afternoons!  Nothing like a little caffeine kick to get you through the rest of a

I Did It!

Yep, that's right. I am a student again! A few weeks ago I started receiving emails from the Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) department at Hamline. They looked like mass emails about job openings and announcements. It was either a cruel joke or I had been admitted but not received my acceptance letter. After two days of emails and two days of trying not to get excited I finally called at 4:55 one afternoon (the office closes at 5). I told the woman on the phone that either Hamline was very good at playing cruel jokes on prospective students, or was I really admitted? She laughed and said, "Congratulations, you are a grad student." A grad student!? I'm a grad student! So I hurriedly filled out my FAFSA and got to worrying about how I was going to pay for it. Then Friday I got my Financial Aid info and sure enough, the government is more than happy for me to add onto my student loan debt. Now just to figure out how to reorganize my time to study, find a prog