Skip to main content

Dear Human Race:

I have some beef with you today. Well, not all of you, but what I see is becoming an altogether too large portion. I'd like to talk to you a little big about tolerance. This isn't going to be a lecture taken straight from a Respect and Tolerance 101 class. You're smarter than that, or at least I'm hoping beyond hope that you're smarter than that. There are so many topics that I'd like to touch on today, but let's just focus a moment on the issue of Marriage.

Now, I'm a happily married woman. I found a wonderful, caring partner and am thankful that he felt enough of the same to publicly and solemnly declare our relationship official. You see, that's kind of how I feel about Marriage. It's a declaration to the community that two people are pledging to care and love each other. The government? Religion? Really don't have a huge part of it. But yet, so many of you take it so personally when two people of the same sex want to spend their lives together. Could you please explain to me why that is such a big deal?

There are issues out there that are equally polarizing that will never get solved and I can understand why. Issues, literally, of Life and Death. But what I fail to understand is why this marriage issue is such a big deal. No, I take that back. I understand why it's a big deal for the people that are fighting FOR it. To be recognized by the community, to have the same basic rights that other couples have. I can understand, empathize and fully respect that. But those of you who fight AGAINST it? And you are out there, as we saw yesterday in Maine, and you are holding strong. I don't even pretend to understand your position, I can't and I won't.

People against Marriage Equality speak often about the sanctity of marriage. The what? How many of you out there come from 'broken homes'? How many people you know do? I'm pretty sure that a vast majority of you are either from divorced families or most of your acquaintances are. So let's just discount that one right now, shall we? And those of you that are so worried about God having to bless these same sex unions? Well, guess what? You don't have to! I didn't get married in a church, by a priest/minister and most of the people I know didn't either. So you can keep your 'blessed' sanctity. In my opinion marriage has less to do with God and more to do with two people loving and respecting each other. But what do I know?

So let's stop with the intolerance and start trying to respect and care for each other. What do you say Human Race? I won't judge you if you promise not to judge me or my family/friends. Let's call it a deal.

Sincerely,

MP
A Concerned Member

Comments

  1. Couldn't agree more and perfectly said :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep putting my comments as anonymous - don't mean to! That was me above :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well stated, unfortunately certain churches put a ton of time and effort into fighting against equal rights. It makes me depressed some days and down right mad other days.
    As for the religious thing...while I am not uber religious, I do attend church sometimes and can tell you that Jesus (for those who believe in him and/or follow the guy) stated that the most important thing people can do is LOVE one another. Love should be above all things, even the Ten Commandments from the Old Testament.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lady in the Sky, With Broccoli

We've had a whirlwind, chaotic, hectic, exciting week.  It was a week of fixes, car naps, quick meals and heat.  Oh, the heat!  I finally feel like today we had the chance to tone things down and take a breath.  The Little Lady and I were left to our devices for the evening while the Mr. took a much deserved night off.  We had a light dinner and then went outside for our favorite pre-bed activity, Bubble Chasing.  (Well, she chases, I blow).  The following conversation ensued. Laying in the grass: MP: Hey LL, look at all those clouds! LL:  Yeah mom, clouds. MP:  What do you see up there?  I see bunny ears! LL:  They just puffy mama. MP: (Humph, this might not work...) LL:  Mama, I see Lady! MP: (Getting excited)  That's great, what's she doing? LL:  Lady in Sky, with Broccoli.  I like Broccoli! MP: Well, yes, it does look like broccoli.  What else do you see? LL:  Poop in a glass.  Ha...

I Did It!

Yep, that's right. I am a student again! A few weeks ago I started receiving emails from the Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) department at Hamline. They looked like mass emails about job openings and announcements. It was either a cruel joke or I had been admitted but not received my acceptance letter. After two days of emails and two days of trying not to get excited I finally called at 4:55 one afternoon (the office closes at 5). I told the woman on the phone that either Hamline was very good at playing cruel jokes on prospective students, or was I really admitted? She laughed and said, "Congratulations, you are a grad student." A grad student!? I'm a grad student! So I hurriedly filled out my FAFSA and got to worrying about how I was going to pay for it. Then Friday I got my Financial Aid info and sure enough, the government is more than happy for me to add onto my student loan debt. Now just to figure out how to reorganize my time to study, find a prog...

A Confession

First let me come clean.  I'm pregnant. Now, let the next thirty-one weeks commence where I talk of nothing else except my growing belly, appetite and need for Cheetos.  Not really, but I will say this; I'm tired.  So tired that normal everyday tasks that should only take me a few minutes suddenly sit around, unfinished, for days at a time.  Examples?  The dishwasher, the dirty dishes, groceries (the non-perishable ones, duh), folding the laundry, making the bed.  I mean, there are much better things to do, like, stuff handfuls of popcorn in my mouth while watching all the episodes of Angel, in order.  Don't judge me, I am returning to school in a few weeks; maybe this is just me trying desperately to channel myself as a Freshman in college?  Who the heck knows.  What I do know that my "golden time," or nap time as it is commonly called, was once used to clean, cook, tidy up, rest and blog.  Well, you know how much blogging I've done o...